At St Katherine’s BTECs can be taken at two levels First and/or National. The BTEC First Award is a vocational qualification at Level 2 or Level 1. The Level 2 grade is the equivalent of a GCSE grade between A*-C (dependant upon final grade achieved), the Level 1 grade is equivalent to a GCSE grade between D and G. The course is designed to give students a good grounding to progress onto the BTEC National courses in a related subject. The First Award courses are normally assessed across 4 units with one of the units being assessed externally through a written or online examination.
Students are graded with a pass, merit or distinction (highest achievable); these grades are collated at the end of the course and students awarded either Distinction* (A* at GCSE), Distinction (A at GCSE), Merit (B at GCSE), Pass (C at GCSE) or a Level 1 Pass ( D – G at GCSE). Students who wish to progress onto a BTEC National Diploma will usually need to attain merit grades or above in order to meet the entry requirements.
BTEC National courses are Level 3; a Level 3 Certificate course is equivalent to an AS level, a Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma is equivalent to one A2 award and a Level 3 Diploma is equivalent to two A2 awards. These courses are particularly suitable for those who have strong inclinations towards a particular vocational career, starting with technical level posts and leading, after experience, to supervisory and enterprise management posts. These courses also suit those students who find terminal examinations difficult as the majority of the work is coursework based. The usual entry requirement is at least four GCSE subject passes at A*, A, B or C grades.
At St. Katherine’s we offer:
Level 2 Courses
- Pearson BTEC Level1/Level 2 First Award in Sport
- Pearson BTEC Level1/Level 2 First Award in Performing Arts
- Pearson BTEC Level1/Level 2 First Award in Music
- Pearson BTEC Level1/Level 2 First Award in Business
- Pearson BTEC Level1/Level 2 First Award in Hospitality
Level 3 Courses
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Business
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Applied Science (Forensic Science)
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Hospitality
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Sport
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Sport